6.09.2010

Entre Vous, Si Vous Plait

Geez, I need to have people over more often. Yes, it involves some cleaning but it is also motivation to knock out an item or two off my to-do list around the house. Take, for example, my entry hall. It has been sitting unadorned for the past nine ten months. Unless, of course, you count months of junk mail and boxes of random stuff I move out of my car when it gets too full. Anyway, the night before having company over, I finally hung my collection of vintage mirrors near the front door. And I also hung the decorative hooks my Aunt Kim gave me several years ago.

I've been wanting to paint my front door since the day I moved in, and it finally happened today! I tore a page out of a magazine a year or so ago with tons of ideas for front doors. I was attracted to a Benjamin Moore color called Venezuelan Sea so I sent my mom for search around T-town for a swatch. It's a really pretty blue green. A little more on the green side than blue. I've been to all the local haunts looking for something close...Caribbean Splash, Bermuda, Bluefin, Peacock Plume, Astral Journey, Endless Galaxy, etc. And then a few months back I bought that pot to coil my hose up in that was flecked with all sorts of blues and greens. I finally just decided to take Venezuelan Sea into the store to have it matched but, wouldn't you know, the machine was broken. So I picked up a random paint chip called (get this) Basic Teal, crossed my fingers, and held my breath.
Before:
Here goes nothing!
Voila! It's a bit more vibrant than I was expecting but it's a nice pop of color for the otherwise dark covered entry. An added bonus is that it happens to be the best match for that pot! Perhaps I should have taken a photo that included the pot. Hmm.

My one concern now is how similar it is to my gal pal Val's front door color. It wasn't my intention to copy her but if someone were to accuse me of trying to steal her style, I wouldn't take offense (although Valerie might!). I mean, have you seen her and/or her house?! To. Die. For.

2 comments:

Kristin Ann said...

I LOVE the door. It makes a huge difference! I can't wait to see it in person (and I actually will!)

Valerie said...

Ha! I was loving it before I got to the end of the post and read about how it was similar to my door! I think it looks fantastic. Amazing how one small pop of color can make such a difference. I think people would be happier if there were more blue doors in the world...;) And I meant to tell you how I liked your entry way. I wish I had so many great mirrors!

So now you need to post on your freezer paper stencil party because I want to see how the stencils turned out. Did you take any pics? And when is your next jaunt to T-Town?