6.17.2010

Totally Floored

Yesterday morning while tinkling on the potty I took a good, long look at the floor. The ugly blue and white vinyl peel and stick tiles were starting to come up in places due to Little Miss Thang splish splashing in the tub. So I did what I always do at the cusp of a home improvement project: I jumped right in without knowing what would come next.

Had I known that what would come next involved scraped knuckles, bruised kneecaps, swollen palms, blistered fingers, and a Barbie bandaid where I jabbed myself with a utility knife, I might have decided to tuck that single stray tile back into place. But I didn't. So this is what my bathroom floor looked like before I went to bed last night:

It looks much better than I had anticipated underneath. There is one small divot in the concrete near the door. The adhesive was still pretty sticky in some areas but I was able to scrape it up pretty easily. Except for a good cleaning to remove the nasty smell (I think it's just the standing water that had been sitting underneath some of the tiles that had pulled up over time), over all I don't think there's going to be too much prepping before moving on to stage 2:

via desire to inspire

High gloss floor paint! I've been considering pulling up all the flooring in my house and slapping on a coat or two of paint since I bought the place last summer. So this is going to be the trial run.

But, really, who am I kidding? We all know that this is going to be what my floor will look like for a good, long while:

I think the floor mat makes all the difference, no?!

2 comments:

Valerie said...

From one queen-of-unfinished-projects to another, I say Bravo, my friend.

katie said...

You crack me up! I am always tempted to do what you did, but then I realize that it will stay that way too long and I talk myself out of it. I hate unfinished home projects. That's why I haven't changed much on my house since we've had it!! But, kuddos to you for being brave!