7.28.2010

Bison, Go With Ka-Rip!

In just a few short weeks, incoming freshmen will migrate to Bison Hill for Welcome Week. This year marks 17 since I myself made the trek. I can't believe I'm that old. 17 years! Yikes! It's nearly half my life.

Anywho...yesterday morning I headed over to my friend Kara's house where five lovely ladies with ties to OBU gathered for a craft session. On the agenda: freshmen beanies! It's an OBU tradition for freshmen to wear them during Welcome Week. On average I'd say beanies are worn for about 30 minutes. Max. But every year somebody, somewhere, cranks out hundreds of these puppies for incoming students. And this year I helped!

I hadn't pulled my $14.14 sewing machine out of its box since sometime before I moved. I rediscovered that it came with its manual, a treat for those of you familiar with thrifted goods. And the manual came in handy since I was experiencing some tension issues. Even more handy than the manual was Christina who lent oodles of sewing expertise. After some fiddling with the machine I cranked 39 beanies out. Sans seam binding. I was the first one to leave so I don't know how many the rest finished.

But it sure did feel good to cross something else off my list and to know that I'm giving back a wee little bit. I wonder if one of my beanies will land on the head of someone who, 17 years in the future, will find herself whipping up a few of these babies for someone else.

2 comments:

Kristin Ann said...

Ka-rip Ka-rap Ka-riplo typlo tap
Oh! Oh! Rincto lincto hio-totimus
Hopula scipula copula gotimus
Chink-to-lack Chink-to-lee
Ka-willa, Ka-walla, Ka Victory
Oh! Oh! Hoogula choogula choogula can.
Ragula tagula melican man
Let'er go rip, let'er go ruse
Tingula Tangula, turn'em a-loose
Zip! Bang! OBU!

Valerie said...

Yeah, ditto what Kristin said above....;) But really, I can still go with Ka-Rip!

And I had no idea someone sewed all those beanies. What a fun thing that you've now been a part of!