10.10.2010

Rock {'n Roll} A Bye Baby

I keep telling myself that my sewing machine is not something I should be afraid of. Last week there was a baby shower at work and I had psyched myself up to sew some burp cloths but then chickened out in the end and bought my gifts. Well, a friend is expecting a baby boy next month so I finally bit the bullet and conquered my fear.

I had purchased a two-pack of metallic iron-on transfers that said "My Dad Rocks" (because his dad does) and "My Mom Rocks" (with a rocking chair). I found this cute longsleeved onesie at Wal-Mart and slapped the daddy transfer on it.
Now I had to figure out what to do with the mommy transfer. I decided to make a burp cloth and while I was waiting for the lady at Hancock's to cut the flannel (black and white houndstooth on one side, solid red on the other) out I had the bright idea to make it in the shape of a guitar. Not necessarily the most practical burp cloth design, but I though the concept would be cute. I drew out the shape on a sheet of newspaper and then cut out the flannel. I wasn't sure to do with the tuner knobby things so I sewed some ribbons near the top to simulate them. And added the transfer near the bottom. The finished result:

I topstitched a zigzag stitch but wasn't very adept at sewing it in a relatively straight line near the edge and therefore didn't quite get the opening at the bottom sewn shut so I had to deviate a little and add a second wonky topstitch (see below) to correct it. I'm hoping that that houndstooth is busy enough that you don't really notice how poorly it was sewn. But, all in all, not too terribly bad for my first go at it.

3 comments:

Valerie said...

Clever idea! And I am muy impressed, my friend. Muy impressed.

Kristin Ann said...

I am so proud of you! They are adorable. That momma will love them.

katie said...

O wow Courtney!!!! You did awesome!!!!! Those are SO cute!!! Cute, cute!