3.03.2009

Around the House

So I had a fairly productive weekend...On Saturday I did my regular thrift store circuit and found a restaurant quality chrome shelving unit. I debated about whether or not to buy it. Even left the store only to return a few hours later to make the purchase. Thought it was a great bargain but found out later that it wasn't such a fabulous deal. Bygones. I've been wanting a shelving system for my kitchen for a good while now so I'm pleased. It's nestled in between my fridge and this random wall on the other side of my cabinets. So now I have a pantry of sorts that I'm able to roll in and out when I need to get something.

And on Sunday my wonderful mother came over to help me paint my bedroom. I have a minor issue with motivation and procrastination. I've been putting off this paint job ever since I moved back to Tulsa three and half years ago. My mom had painted it the light green back when we thought she was renovating Loraine so I could sell her. That didn't happen and I've hated the color ever since. Check out the paint swatch I slapped up a couple months after moving back. Yep, that's over three years ago now, too. Wow.


If you didn't already know it, I'm a big bargain hunter (thrift stores, remember) although it may be more correct to call me a cheapskate. I rarely pay full price for anything. So when any home reno project is looming before me I head to Home Depot to scour their "Oops" paint selection. I found a gallon of a pretty gray with just a hint of blue in it and I thought it would be perfect. A score for just $5! A few weeks later I was shopping at Target (just to pick up a pack of bottled water, mind you) and found a great rug half off. It's charcoal gray with a floral motif with touches of light blue. Thought it'd match the paint perfectly. Man, this story is really boring. Sorry. Long (and boring) story short, my mom came over and we knocked out the bedroom in just a few hours. But it's more of a blue paint with a hint of gray instead of the other way. I was kind of bummed at first, but it's growing on me. Take a look.

The next thing on my list is to get rid of the brown bedding and headboard and pinkish bedskirt and find something that fits in my new (ahem, blue) color scheme. Maybe I'll actually cross it off my list before the next three years come and go.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

I really like the color. And major score on the rug. And when are we going thrifting again?