3.10.2009

NKOTB...The Right Stuff!

I had just settled in for a quick catnap yesterday afternoon (they're becoming much too frequent these days) when my phone rang. I didn't recognize the number so I let it go to voicemail. I decided to go ahead and check the message and it's a good thing I did because...my fellow bunco babe Shelley was calling to see if I was still interested in going to the New Kids on the Block concert. For free. In a suite. Uh, heck yes!

So I met her and her work buddies there. First time I've ever been in a suite for any event. Pretty posh. There was a group in the suite next door who had gone all out and were decked out in 80s garb...side ponytails, mini skirts and leggings, big day glo jewelry, etc.

First off, I loved me some NKOTB back in the day. I'm pretty sure I practiced the dance they did in "The Right Stuff" video. And Donnie Wahlberg was one of my biggest celebrity crushes growing up (second only to Michael J. Fox). In fact, I was elated when he starred in NBC's Boomtown for the lone season it ran. And even though the Saw movies really creep me out, I loved watching him in them. Yes, ladies, I still think he's got it (Oh, oh, oh oh oh, oh, oh, oh oh). Here are a few of my thoughts of the NKOTB concert experience:

1. The Jabbawockeez opened for them. I love, love, love MTV's "America's Best Dance Crew" and these boys were Season One's big winners. I so wish I was a hip hop dancer. Or a b-girl. Or could at least moonwalk. Their performance was a little long but I enjoyed them. It's interesting to note that nobody else in our suite had a clue as to who they were and used their time on stage to go to the bathroom, grab a drink, or find something to eat.

2. I was actually impressed with the New Kids. I didn't give them enough credit going into it and had some serious doubts about this whole reunion tour in general.

3. They did a whole lot of slow mo and gliding sequences in their routines. A whole lot. While impressed with some of their dance moves, the slide/glide thing got old pretty fast. Especially when in conjunction with strobe lights.

4. They changed outfits way too often. I'm not even sure how they managed to it so often and so fast. Interesting that every single outfit every single time was white, black, rhinestone, or a combo thereof.

5. Donnie said "Tulsa" more times last night than our mayor has. Kathy, by the way, was spotted in a nearby suite. Whodathunkit?

6. Cute little Joey McIntyre dropped the F-bomb. I was kinda shell shocked. I mean, I get that he's in his 30s and all, but he's Joey for crying out loud!

7. I once again found myself wondering what Jonathan Knight's role in this group really is. Solo time was split fairly evenly among Jordan, Joey, and Donnie and even Danny got to show off his break dancing skills more than once. But really, what about Jonathan?!

8. I don't think I've ever been to a concert where I've seen women actually throw their underwear at the performers. I mean, surely it's happened, but I've never actually seen it until last night.

9. I'm curious as to how they're going to write Donnie's comeback into HBO's "Entourage" script in the next couple of seasons. Man, I love that show (produced by and based on Donnie's lil brother Marky Mark's life in the limelight)!

No comments: